Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Heading Out


Spring training, here I come. I am packed up and ready to head to Florida tomorrow. The weather is not looking good. There's supposed to be an ice storm tonight and tomorrow morning. Ugh.

I saw in the news that I-95 has been closed near Philadelphia for emergency repairs. Pretty scary. My first "real" job out of college was as a bridge inspector, and this failure looks pretty bad. They're lucky they caught it when they did.

I plan to go around it, through Scranton-Wilkes Barre. It will add about an hour to my trip, but I'll avoid the congestion around NYC and Philadelphia.

Flying would doubtless be easier, but this trip was sort of a last-minute decision, and I waited too late to get a decent airfare.

And yes, I did wonder whether going on vacation is a smart use of money. If the economy collapses, and I end up sleeping on a grate somewhere, I'll probably regret spending so much money to go down to Florida to watch grown men play a kids' game. OTOH, if we get hyperinflation, I'll be glad I spent it while it was worth something. And, well, this is something I really want to...while I can.


No comments: