Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Old Apple Tree



I've been meaning to photograph a neigborhood apple tree through the seasons. It might take me several years to do it, though. The time just seems to fly by. I noticed that the tree was budding and made a note to myself to photograph it soon. But by the time I finally did it, the buds were full-blown blossoms. I guess I'll have to try again next year.

The tree is a Cortland, a remnant of the apple farm that used to be here before they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Yes, people do pick and eat the apples, which are quite tasty, if a bit wormy (since nobody applies pesticides or otherwise tends the tree).

Here's the tree last fall:


Clearly, it's past "peak apples," as indicated by the fact that the low-hanging fruit has been picked, and by the clear evidence of high-tech production methods.


No comments: